A conventional loan is a mortgage loan that is not backed by any government agency and instead follows guidelines established by government-sponsored enterprises (GSE).
Why a Conventional Loan?
One of the benefits of a conventional loan is Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI), which is inexpensive or not required for down payments of at least 20%. In addition, unlike FHA or VA loans, conventional loans are available on second homes or investments properties.
Conventional Loan Requirements
- Minimum FICO score of 620.
- Higher loan limits than FHA in some areas
- Adjustable-rate and fixed-rate loan terms available
- No mortgage insurance with 80% loan-to-value ratio
- Available for second homes and investment properties